As we pass the 3rd anniversary of COAR's first (unofficial) meeting, we wanted to take a moment to appreciate how far we've come as a community committed to learning - and unlearning - to combat racism and bias in ourselves and our communities, and to reflect on next steps.
At our March COAR meeting, facilitated by Phil Gordon of SCI, we learned Catherine Hernandez'sallyship creed, of which the first line reads, “When I do not act, I am complicit.” While the learning we do *in* COAR is a form of taking action, we invite you to transfer that learning into action *outside* of COAR.
Consider taking action in one or more of the following ways:
1. Volunteer to be on a local committee or commission to bring an equity lens to discussions, decisions, and planning. When we bring our learning to others, we can spread our knowledge and affect change.
2. Attendpublic meetings(such as school committee or select board) and forums, andraise your voiceduring public comment periods to ask questions and encourage elected and appointed officials to bring an equity lens to their work.
3. Support local news outlets to bring transparency to DEI issues and the opportunity to engage in meaningful discussion. Your support can start by subscribing to two local papers.
Concord Bridge- new independent newspaper being formed in Concord. The next public forum is onThursday, May 12, 7:30pm at Harvey Wheeler.
5. When members of historically marginalized communities raise their voices, listen and amplify their messages.
To get involved with COAR's support of theMETCO Family Collective's initiatives for change, start by joining the Collective's Facebook group as an ally.
6. Encourage other organizations you're involved with to begin - or continue - to look internally to identify ways to promote equity and belonging.
Thank you, again, for being on this journey with us. Our final meeting of the school year will be held onMonday, May 9, 7:30-9pm, or come meet us in person at Rideout Playground in Concord onJune 1 at 3pm to help us kick off June Journeys 2022.
Stay tuned for info about June Journeys and our Summer Series soon...